Monday, December 10, 2007

The Meat Section

Coming up next is the Meat section. Most of these are my mother's recipes, as opposed to ones I clipped. There are some real dandies in there--recipes that start out with introductions like: "Planning meals for your family is one of your most important duties. If you're like most homemakers, you purchase meat first, then build around this most important and expensive menu item." This was from a newspaper clipping at the end of January for an unspecified year. All I have to go on is the advertisement on the back of the clipping--sliced bacon at 49 cents a pound, hot dogs (or "franks" as the ad refers to them) at 49 cents a pound, and the declaration that whatever store it was had "plenty of free parking" at all of its seven locations in the DC metro area. That would have been when "plenty of free parking" was a sufficient draw for shoppers (no doubt homemakers in search of that most important and expensive menu item).

You'll have to forgive me if this post is a little slow in coming. We're moving on Friday the 14th to our brand new house, and I have almost no cooking utensils that haven't been packed. But I'll get something posted as soon as I can.

No comments: